Top 9 benefits of a digital marketing strategy for your business
Your digital marketing team is likely working through standalone campaigns and individual tactics that are working well but lack continuity. The results you see from your marketing campaigns could likely be improved if you had a clear, holistic digital marketing strategy in place.
This post will discuss digital marketing strategies, why they matter, and how they elevate your efforts. Read on to learn:
- What is a digital marketing strategy?
- The importance of a digital marketing strategy
- Nine benefits that show why you need a digital marketing strategy
- 1. Establish direction and focus
- 2. Develop an effective value proposition
- 3. Get to know your customers better
- 4. Understand your market share
- 5. Avoid disintegration
- 6. Stop wasting resources on duplication
- 7. Optimize everything
- 8. Improve budgeting — and your access to budget
- 9. Stay flexible and competitive
- Getting started with a digital marketing strategy
What is a digital marketing strategy?
A digital marketing strategy is a comprehensive plan that outlines how a business will use digital channels to reach its target audience and achieve its marketing goals. The strategy typically includes a range of tactics and activities that are designed to promote a business, product, or service online.
A digital marketing strategy may include a variety of channels such as social media marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click advertising (PPC), email marketing, content marketing, and more.
The importance of a digital marketing strategy
A digital marketing strategy is important for several reasons:
- Provides direction. A digital marketing strategy provides a clear direction for a business to follow to achieve its marketing goals. Without a strategy, a business may be investing resources in digital channels without an understanding of how they are contributing to overall marketing goals.
- Maximizes ROI. By having a well-defined digital marketing strategy, businesses can maximize their ROI by investing in channels that have been proven to be effective for their target audience while minimizing spending on channels that do not generate the desired results.
- Enables targeting. A digital marketing strategy allows businesses to reach their target audience in a more targeted and personalized manner. By understanding which channels are attracting which customers, businesses can deliver more relevant content — leading to higher conversion rates.
Overall, a well-designed digital marketing strategy can help businesses achieve their marketing goals, increase their visibility and brand awareness, generate leads and sales, and ultimately grow their business.
Nine benefits that show why you need a digital marketing strategy
Now that you have a better understanding of the importance of digital marketing strategies, let’s take a closer look at some of the benefits of having a strong digital marketing strategy for your business.
1. Establish direction and focus
When you don’t have a clear digital marketing strategy in place, your marketing team could all be running in different directions. A strategy helps define goals and create cohesiveness for all of your marketing campaigns.
2. Develop an effective value proposition
In today’s crowded marketplace, a strong value proposition helps your business stand out from its competitors. When you continue to deliver on the promises you make in your value proposition, you can build customer loyalty and increase the lifetime value of your customers.
3. Get to know your customers better
You’ve probably already spent a lot of time digging into your target audience — and learning about your buyer personas and their journeys. Using a digital marketing strategy to help expand your customer data capabilities, audience segmentation, and personalization efforts helps create more targeted and effective marketing campaigns that resonate with customers and drive business growth.
4. Understand your market share
Market share refers to the percentage of total sales or revenue in a given market that is captured by a particular company or brand. It’s important because it provides an indication of a company’s relative competitive position within a market and can be used as a key performance metric to track growth or decline over time.
When your digital marketing strategy is connected to growing your brand’s market share, your campaigns become more focused on the results that matter for your business.
5. Avoid disintegration
The best digital marketing campaigns operate across multiple channels while aligning with each other to work toward a singular desired outcome. However, when you’re focusing on many channels at once, it can be easy for separate campaigns to lose their cohesion or individual strength. A clearly defined digital marketing strategy helps keep all your campaigns aligned and moving in the right direction.
6. Stop wasting resources on duplication
On larger teams or within enterprise-level organizations, it can be easy for efforts to get duplicated. Siloed teams can result in resources being allocated to the same channel or campaign multiple times. Your digital marketing strategy can outline which teams will handle each tactic to avoid wasted or duplicated resources.
7. Optimize everything
With competition on digital channels at its highest level ever, there is little room for weak or underperforming strategies. But it can be hard to keep everything optimized when you’re running multichannel campaigns. You need to identify the right metrics, analyze your data effectively, make informed decisions, and adapt to changing trends. Your digital marketing strategy can help keep everything optimized and in line with your organization’s goals.
8. Improve budgeting — and your access to budget
A digital marketing strategy helps improve budgeting by giving a more holistic view of what your marketing team is working on. This way, you can allocate resources more efficiently to maximize the ROI of your marketing campaigns.
When you have a clear picture of where your marketing budget is going, it’s easier to make the case for higher budgets and more resources.
9. Stay flexible and competitive
Your digital marketing strategy acts as a roadmap for your marketing team to work from. Because everything is presented clearly for the team to refer to, this can allow you to pivot and remain flexible in the face of headwinds — at the industry level or from competitors.
Getting started with a digital marketing strategy
A clearly defined digital marketing strategy is an asset for any business trying to reach more customers. It helps your marketing team stay aligned with your organization’s goals, improves marketing efficiency, and drives better decision-making for your business.
If you’re ready to get started on a digital marketing strategy for your business, Adobe can help. Download our worksheet to get the latest ideas and tools for building and strengthening your digital marketing strategy.
Learn about Adobe Marketo Engage
Marketo Engage is the world’s largest marketing automation platform. It’s a singular solution that combines the power of automation, content, lead development, and account-based marketing. Marketo Engage connects you with your customers and keeps them coming back to save your team time, effort, and resources.