Adobe named a seventh-time Leader in the 2023 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Digital Commerce
Acknowledgments: This year, Adobe has been acknowledged for the seventh consecutive year as a Leader in the 2023 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce report. We are immensely proud to receive this recognition once again. We believe that this is a testament to Adobe's unwavering commitment to innovation and the strategic choices made to enhance our capabilities, elevating the experiences of our valued customers and their buyers.
In recent years, we have seen the biggest transformation period to date in the digital commerce space. Businesses all over the world had to adapt at a record pace to new and more stringent customer expectations, including higher levels of personalized and convenient online shopping experiences. Adobe Commerce helped brands grow their brand loyalty and successfully fulfill these expectations. However, the traditional concept of unwavering brand loyalty has been challenged due to the prevailing economic conditions. Consumers now consider additional pressures on top of their existing high expectations for convenience, a wide selection of products, and exceptional experiences. As a result, a flexible and scalable ecommerce platform that enables our brands to adapt to ever-changing customer expectations continues quickly and seamlessly to be important.
According to Mirakl’s 2023 Global Consumer Survey, because of inflation, 86% of US consumers are seeking greater value when shopping, and, for the most part, are finding that value online. While consumers are reconsidering their brand loyalty, 75% of global consumers expected to increase their spending online this year as a result of finding better value. And 56% of consumers express a higher inclination to shop on marketplaces or websites capable of providing personalized recommendations. Further, in the current economic environment, companies are facing shortages of talent and other resources to deliver on their buyers’ expectations. In fact, 74% of companies said they lack the full range of in-house talent needed for effective personalization at scale.
These past few years have emphasized a critical lesson for merchants: adaptability in ecommerce regardless of economic conditions. —as consumers increasingly invest their time and money online, brands must prioritize a composable, personalized approach to ecommerce and identify effective ways to distinguish themselves from competitors. Once again, this underscores importance of a reliable, adaptable ecommerce platform that can keep pace with the always- evolving digital economy and delivers on buyer expectations with unique features and capabilities that will help streamline their operations, save costs, and get ahead of their competitors. Platforms that will support business objectives are well positioned to execute on their strategic vision.
Adobe has been recognized by Gartner as a Leader for our Ability to Execute and Completeness of Vision.
Take, for example, Sunbelt Rentals, an established B2B business with over 1,200 North American locations, 11 lines of business, and a complex equipment rental business model. With the help of Adobe Commerce and our seamless headless commerce integration with Adobe Experience Manager, Sunbelt Rentals successfully built a multichannel digital experience that supports sellers and empowers customers. The results? Improvement in order capture and fulfillment for self-service digital channels, empowered business users for faster time to market, and the ability to scale with business growth.
- 3x faster page load times,
- 2x abandoned cart conversion
- 6x more frequent updates
Or take global sustainable energy leader, Covento by Vestas. Using Adobe Commerce and Adobe Analytics, part of Adobe Experience Cloud, Vestas built Covento’s B2B ecommerce marketplace and launched a modernized online procurement process. Covento’s Adobe-powered marketplace dramatically reduces the time and complexity involved in purchasing spare part, cutting the average procurement time from weeks to seconds. The new marketplace has been rapidly adopted amongst buyers, with logins increasing 247% month-over-month.
“Working with Adobe gives us a complete ecommerce solution that empowers our customers to select the products they want almost instantly, freeing up their time to focus on solving the global climate crisis.”
- Jill Ashley Brandt
Chief Executive Officer, Covento by Vestas
Adobe Commerce helped Sunbelt Rentals, Vestas, and other organizations like them meet their ecommerce goals and become leaders in their industries by providing a flexible, headless, and composable platform that leverages the powerful synergies with other Adobe DX solutions.
But we haven’t stopped there. We understand the evolving market, and both buyer and merchant expectations. In the last year, Adobe has continued our commitment to making high-impact changes to processes, features, and capabilities that deliver on our promise to power the next generation of digital business.
Below are just a few of those noteworthy enhancements that have been released in the last 12 months.
Faster time to market
- This year, we made composable commerce easier for our customers. We don’t just provide a set of services—we also include the tooling to make them work together so you can focus on delivering immediate value instead of lengthy and complex implementations. With Adobe Developer App Builder, now available for Adobe Commerce, you can build secure and scalable apps that extend Commerce-native functionality as well as integrate with third-party solutions. We have also made it quicker and easier to build composable storefronts with API Mesh, an API orchestration layer included with App Builder. Developers can easily add, upgrade, or replace Adobe and third-party services into the mesh through simple configurations. Additionally, Adobe I/O Events provides a seamless way to share data and events from Adobe Commerce with back-office systems to build near-real time apps and integrations.
Integrate, extend, and innovate at lower cost of ownership
- Adobe Commerce now offers a serverless extensibility environment where we manage all the infrastructure and services, which typically falls on the developer, required for customers to extend to our products. Further improving the developer experience, App Builder provides out-of-process extensibility and requires no customization to the core product code, resulting in simplified upgrades and lower ownership cost.
- To accelerate innovation, reduce the total cost of ownership, and allow more time for customizing and optimizing the commerce experience, we made updates to our Release Strategy and Policy by moving to fewer and lighter core updates with new capabilities delivered as composable API first SaaS services that can be added at any time. All these items are supported through our native storefront and headless commerce deployments.
New B2B capabilities and enhancements
- Adobe Commerce has continued to enhance our B2B commerce offerings over the past 12 months, including new capabilities and enhancements to our B2B Negotiable Quotes. Now, sales reps can prepare quotes (including line-item discounts) within Adobe Commerce and send them directly to customers for review. This investment in rep-assisted ecommerce complements the robust B2B features already native to Adobe Commerce. including customer-specific pricing, B2B Product Recommendations, B2B Live Search
Platform scale and performance improvement
- Adobe Commerce continues to deliver on enterprise customer needs with improvements to scalability and performance. A new price indexation process and Catalog Service support high performance, hyper-scale, and complex business scenarios. Merchants with large, complex product catalogs and B2B price books, or high velocity business models with frequent price changes can gain a competitive advantage by quickly reacting to market conditions while serving up a fast customer experience. These improvements reduce the time it takes for price changes to update across your websites and customer groups by 90% while Catalog Service delivers 10x faster load times. Merchants of all sizes can increase site conversions and customer satisfaction, all while lowering their time to market and total cost of ownership with added flexibility, better scalability, and faster deployment.
Data sharing and activation for personalized commerce experiences
- Personalization has become even more effortless with our new Adobe Commerce data sharing capabilities. The Data Connection extension empowers merchants to share Commerce storefront and back-office events to other Adobe Experience Cloud applications or third-party solutions in just hours, without any custom development. Use Commerce data to shape campaigns, enrich analytics, guide site experiences, and inform omnichannel journeys.
- The Audience Activation extension enables merchants to deliver personalized site content and promotions in real-time, tailored to AI-powered segments built and managed within Adobe Real-Time CDP. Create unified customer profiles and segments in Real-Time CDP, then activate for personalized experiences in Adobe Commerce.
- This year, we introduced new intelligent merchandising capabilities for Live Search. These features enable merchants to easily set rules using AI algorithms to re-rank search results in real time, personalized to each shopper. Additionally, we have made improvements to the developer experience with the Live Search Storefront Widget that can be easily installed without the need for complex manual configuration. All our services—Live Search, Product Recommendations, and Catalog Services—are now available through our GraphQL API, empowering developers with a single services GraphQL endpoint for all SaaS services.
We are confident that this year's Gartner Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce report reinforces that Adobe is not only capable of delivering results today but is well poised to continue to continue supporting our customers in achieving their ecommerce goals in the foreseeable future.
For more information about Adobe Commerce, visit our Commerce overview page or request a personalized demo to see how Adobe Commerce lets you easily manage all your business from one platform and scales as you do.
Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce, Mike Lowndes, Yanna Dharmasthira, Sandy Shen, Penny Gillespie, Aditya Vasudevan, Jason Daigler, 21 August 2023.
Adobe recognized as a Leader from 2021-23. Recognized as Adobe (Magento) from 2019-20. Magento recognized as a Leader from 2017-18. Adobe acquired Magento in 2018
Gartner is a registered trademark and service mark and Magic Quadrant is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved.
This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The Gartner document is available upon request from Adobe.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.